Friday, April 11, 2008

Another Due Date Come and Gone...

It should be no surprise to all that I did NOT have the baby yesterday. I gear up each time telling myself and others that the baby will be late. My cycle is longer than average and my babies just like a few extra days to ripen. However, it is still difficult to not be somewhat disappointed. I am ready to meet this new little one squirming around inside my belly!

I had a doctor appointment today and surprisingly I have progressed to 1 cm! For those of you who walk around at a 3 for your last month of pregnancy, this probably means nothing...but I have never dilated or effaced with any of my babies until I was in labor, so this is progress for me! I think that this is why I have such long labors, so I am telling myself that I just cut 2 hours off my labor time!

Anyway, we discussed "options" today about being induced and all and I was happy with her willingness to work with me. We have planned to have another ultrasound next Friday to check the fluid and placenta. At that time the technician will also do a vital check watching the baby's movement and checking organs just to make sure all is well and healthy. Then, I will go in for a non-stress test the following Monday, and following Friday provided I am still pregnant. At that point we will probably end up scheduling an induction. Hopefully I will not go that long! Madeline was 5 days late, Aidan was 10 days late and Evelyn was 8 days late, so we shall see!

In the meantime, I have been keeping busy, so that I am not feeling antsy! I have been feeling much better physically since I started my maternity leave, and I am experiencing more energy as well. So I have been putting it to good use and trying to get a few non-regular cleaning chores done that way I don't have to worry about them for awhile. I have washed and ironed all the curtains in the house, cleaning the windows and sills while they were down, I have helped the children reorganize their toy bins putting things in the correct ones, I have cleaned all the fans and light fixtures, and today I am going to work on baseboards and trim, and then I will work on detail cleaning the kitchen appliances. I have also been able to do some yard work, however our weather has not been very cooperative. On the nice days I have raked most of the front yard - the ice storm left a devastating mess of debris, I have put in a garden for our zinnias, and I have started a stone path from our driveway to our side back gate. I have a small list of other chores I can do if I need more things to fill up my time, but if I don't get them done, I will be just fine with that! I have also been maintaining Madeline's school, so that there won't be too much of a disruption with the new baby. I plan to take a week or two off and then get back to it so we should still finish by the end of May.

Well, that's all the news I have for now...I will keep you all updated as things happen...or don't!

5 comments:

Tami said...

Whew, Janice, you are making me so tired! I have not been able to be nearly that active. In fact, I really don't have quite enough to do, so I have been a lazy bum. ;-) I got all my projects done, and I have lots of help with cleaning, so I getting alot of resting done.

So I guess we can officially begin our race tomorrow? I'm due tomorrow but expect to go late as well. Our last was 10 days late, so you could still beat me! Looking forward to hearing the news! Tami

Stephanie said...

Wow! Now I remember why we all like being pregnant so often---the nesting phase is how we get things done! (Or maybe I should just speak for myself.) Seriously, you are making me tired, and I'm not even pregnant. I'm glad you're being so productive, but don't forget to REST!!! You're allowed!

BTW, I saw Melissa and her family today at Target.

Miss you!

Janice and family said...

Believe it or not, this IS rest! After working long shifts at the Outback, not getting to take a break to even sit down, and getting home around midnight...I am really enyoing being home! I can work at my liesure, sit down when I want, eat when I want, etc. I am getting to rest every afternoon during the kids' rest time, and going to bed before 11! I will never again take for granted being a full-time stay at home mom...I miss it.

the mccann clan said...

Well, we're all anxiously awaiting the arrival of our new niece/nephew/cousin here at the McCann house! I'm so glad you're feeling up to getting all the nesting done - you amaze me! I never had that much energy at the end. Anyway, we love you guys and can't wait to get a happy phone call! :)

The Jackson Family said...

Wow, with all that cleaning, I'm surprised you haven't gone into labor! I keep checking back for news on baby, so will be praying.