Friday, October 5, 2007

Spilling the Beans

So, my uniform pants are getting VERY uncomfortable. I have to wear an "Outbacker" shirt tucked in to black slacks with a belt. Not good for a pregnant woman with an expanding belly. I have been waiting for this uncomfortable point to let my boss/manager/proprietor guy know about the pregnancy. Some of you have asked why I have been waiting. The reason is I did not want them to think that I want or expect any type of special treatment while pregnant. I did not want people to get any kind of preconceived notion of "pregnant women" and have that reflected upon me. I wanted my managers and co-workers to see that I have been pregnant for 3 months and there has been no change in my work performance. So, as I was about to leave work on Tuesday, I found the manager in the back making "from scratch" whipping cream - he let me lick the spatula - and I told him I had something to tell him. He stopped making whipped cream scoops and gave me his full attention, and I told him, "I am three months pregnant." I could not have asked for a better reaction. He was absolutely beaming and bubbling over with excitement. He gave me a hug, told me (and to pass on to Neal) congratulations and wanted to know how I was feeling, and the due date, and if we are going to find out if it is a boy or a girl, etc. He and his wife are Christians and they have four kids. It turns out that she worked through each of her pregnancies at the Outback as a server/bartender. So, he is VERY supportive. After his giddiness wore off a bit, I asked him about my clothing situation. I was relieved to find out that they have maternity shirts and I don't have to tuck them in with a belt! I go into work tonight and I will order a couple of shirts. I have not told anyone else yet, but I am sure it won't take long for the news to spread.
It is such a nice thing, and in this case a relief, to tell someone you are pregnant who is genuinely supportive and happy for you. In this society, after you have your 1 girl and 1 boy, you are expected to be "done". Isn't it odd how people impose their views about children on others, making comments like "Was that planned?" "Don't you know what causes that?" (I know I am preaching to the choir here since my family is one of the "small" ones in my circle of friends.) However, I am very blessed to work for a man who will be supportive and not give me a hard time during this less than ideal situation of waiting tables while pregnant. I know that I will have to modify some of my job related activities such as lifting extremely large and heavy trays of steaks over my head as I get bigger, but I know that I will have a group of helpful people around me.
I am thankful to all of you reading our blog who have sent along your sincere congratulations, good wishes and support of our growing family. What a blessing you all are in our lives!

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Glad that went so well! Hope you keep feeling well in the coming months.

Stephanie said...

Oohh!! Is there another spatula that I can lick? Oh, wait...that's not what this post was about, was it? I think I got stuck at that point...

Seriously, glad you can proudly flaunt the growing belly now!

The Jackson Family said...

Yay! Keep up the great work and keep making lots of beautiful Christian Judisch babies! We need more like 'em on the planet!
Love you,
Annie