Wednesday, September 17, 2008

New stuff

OK, as promised, here are some pictures of the new things in our house and yard...

This is our "new" piano that we bought off of Craig's list. It is about 80 to 100 years old. It is called a saloon style-piano because of the mirror across the top. I guess if it was once in a saloon, the piano player would want to know if someone was coming up behind them with a pistol or something...Neal had it tuned for me for my birthday and it sounds great! The tuner said it is a "sawed off piano". Apparently it was originally a player piano that was converted to a saloon-style piano. He was impressed with the good condition on the inside despite its beat up condition on the outside. We have all really enjoyed having a piano in our house!

These are our new dining room chairs. I have been saving money for several months and I used my birthday money to purchase these new off of e-bay. I have been wanting chocolate leather parson chairs for years! Now I don't have to sit on a metal folding chair at dinner time!
I purchased eight, but only six are shown.

This is a freezer that Neal's secretary at work gave us. We are so excited about it! We are spliting a cow with some friends next month, so we were needing one of these!

I picked up another bookshelf for our school room.

Here is the zinnia garden in full bloom as well as the potato ivy growing across the top of the porch.


The girls are so proud of the zinnias they helped plant.

I planted a lantana garden on either side of the driveway. Here is one up close. I still need to add a second layer of stones for the border and they have to fill in, but I think it will add a lot to our entrance once they are established.

This is the driveway showing both gardens.

I mentioned making a path from the driveway to the back gate while I was pregnant with Lillian...well, I finally finished it and put in a garden on that side of the house. I also made a place for the trash can that is out of the mud and convenient and not so ugly now that it has a garden around it. I got the purple jew and the airplane plants from my mom's house when we were there in June...they have filled in nicely with all the rain we have been getting!

Finally, I got a pair of clothesline T-posts! I also got these off of Craig's list. I put up a wanted post offering to take away some old T-posts from anyone who did not want theirs anymore. A guy called up and offered to bring them to us in his truck for $20! We have been using them regularly and have enjoyed the fresh smelling clothes and money/energy savings.

Hanging on the line in this picture are the other new things in our lives...cloth diapers! I am using cloth for Lillian and am saving money there too!

5 comments:

the mccann clan said...

You just blow me away, Janice! I've said it before and will say it again - you must be SuperMom!!

I love all the gardening you've done, it all looks so home-y, and the pics of the girls by the zinnias are so sweet. I also love those chairs you bought - I've been scouting around for the perfect, big, family dining room table and I love the idea of the farm table. Those chairs really look great with it.

Anyway, thanks so much for sharing a bit of the new stuff in your lives with us! Now, it's about time for some baby Lillian pics too - I haven't seen her little face in forever, and I'm sure she's grown so much. (I know, I'm never satisfied!) ;o)

Much love to you 6. We miss you guys! <3 Janelle

Janice and family said...

Thanks Janelle for your kind words...I am just "busymom"...as you can see, I got some stuff up for Lillian, it just took me some time to figure out the video thing...enjoy!

Bruce Judisch said...

What great pix! Thanks for the update, Janice.

By the way, we recommend before you split the cow to move it outside. Less messy...well, you know. :-)

Love, Mom & Dad J.

Carrie Cooper said...

Just found your blog.. thought I would continue to encourage you with the cloth diapers! We too just started with them and LOVE LOVE them.. I am amazed that I didn't know about this before.. I mean I always thought of those things they used when I was a kid.. the new ones are wonderful! Enjoyed your blog!

The Jackson Family said...

I second the cloth diapers thing! I've been using them for about 5 months with Mollie and just bought smaller sizes for Luke (he's 9 days old now). I LOVE them, and even Travis is enjoying them.

Your house is so beautiful! You're such a Proverbs 31 lady!